The biggest party night of the year is only hours away, and we here at The Wine Sisters HQ want to wish you all the best for a happy, prosperous and adventurous 2016. We also want to thank you for your support over the past year; we’re looking forward to bringing you even more fun and exciting wine events over the next few months so stay tuned for that!
But back to the task at hand: if you are going planning on painting the town red tonight, we’ve got a few ideas to cure all that ails you tomorrow.
Hangovers are no fun, so make sure you read our blog on hangover cures (while everything is still in focus). Again, as much as we enjoy a good beverage, we also enjoy staying classy and would advise you to do the same. We’ve all put a lot of hard work and effort into looking like gods and goddesses tonight, don’t blow it by barfing in the bathroom.
However, we’re also all adults and part of being an adult can sometimes mean half a glass of wine and we’re feeling it for three days. So, with that in mind, here are 10 popular ways those suffering from the booze flu try to lift their, ahem, spirits.
1. Water. Drink one glass of H20 for every glass or two of hooch. Booze is a diuretic and you need to replace lost fluids.
2. Sports Drinks or Coconut Water. Replacing lost electrolytes is what you’re after.
3. Coffee. If you need caffeine to perk you up, go for it. But be aware it’s also a diuretic and may worsen your symptoms.
4. More Alcohol. For us, it’s physically impossible to have another drink when we’re still reeling from the night before, but many of our hard-core friends use the hair of the dog as a sure-fire way to feel better. We think it may cause alcoholism, but whatever.
5. Pickle Juice. Yup, gross, but some swear by it. It may have to do with the briney liquid and replacing electrolytes, but that’s just a guess.
6. Pain killers. If you’re easing your booze intake with drugs, stick to ibuprofen. Acetaminophen may help with headaches but can irritate the stomach lining and potentially cause more damage.
7. Greasy food. We think this is more a placebo than anything else, but sometimes you just need a bit of comfort.
8. Exercise. Who the hell does this?
9. Sleep. Yup. The day’s already a write-off. Just go back to bed and don’t get up until dinner.
10. Flat Ginger Ale. Same reasons as for a flu. Ginger helps your tummy, but all that sugar likely won’t, so maybe go for a ginger tea instead.